Building a movement of seniors, people with disabilities, and allies
Note that we are not receiving mail at our office. Please send mail to:
P.O. Box 423388, San Francisco CA 94142-3388
We’re hiring! Apply to be SDA’s Attendant Employer Organizer.
What you can do right now:
Tell the Mayor that we need DEEPLY affordable housing for seniors and people with disabilities! Read the joint letter sent by SDA, Chinatown CDC, and Self Help for the Elderly, for the Senior Housing Hearing on January 27.
Watch the video of SDA members talking about social media advocacy! Thanks to AARP California for funding this project. Translations are coming soon.
Join the campaign for Free Wifi for seniors and people with disabilities in San Francisco! Sign the petition in support of Free Wifi and share with your friends! To get involved, email Peter or Dasom (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Share this survey for newly ill or disabled people. Over the past 18 months of the COVID-19 pandemic, many people have become disabled or chronically ill for the first time — due to COVID-19, mental health effects of the pandemic, lack of access to healthcare, and more. SDA is hosting a training program for people who are new to disability or chronic illness and want to connect with other people and/or change the way disabilities are created and treated in our society. Help us spread the word.
If you like being able to join meetings by zoom or phone, rather than having to go in person, or a remote option make it more possible for you to participate, please fill out this form! It’s time to work together to make sure that as people start to meet in person again, disabled people and seniors don’t lose our ability to participate.
Watch recent SDA events on SDA’s youtube channel.
Attend an upcoming SDA event! See the calendar here.
What we do
Working in partnership with other senior and disability organizations, over the past year we have:
- Supported CA Domestic Workers to win Health & Safety Protections with the SB321.
- Pushed the Governor to sign AB1194 into law, so that conservatees have the right to choose their own attorney.
- Secured millions of dollars in city funding for rental subsidies for seniors and people with disabilities.
- Worked with partners to develop Senior Operating Subsidies — and the city of San Francisco just got $40 million from the state for these project-based subsidies!
- Won funding for tech devices and training for seniors and people with disabilities.
- Won rent relief for hundreds of residents of SRO hotels.
- Stopped the MTA fare increase.
- Advocated to stop COVID-19 care rationing and to win vaccine equity for seniors and people with disabilities.
- Made sure Governor Newsom did NOT grant immunity to nursing homes for dangerous practices.
Want to support SDA? Want to get involved?
Senior and Disability Action is a 501(c)3 organization. Our Tax ID # is 94-3213120 and donations are tax-deductible.
Thank you to the many organizations, foundations, and governments who help fund SDA’s work!
AARP California Kaiser Permanente Joseph & Vera Long Foundation
Metta Fund San Francisco Foundation City & County of San Francisco Borealis Philanthropy Ford Foundation Menorah Park Community Fund University Mound Ladies Home
San Francisco Senior and Disability Action mobilizes and educates seniors and people with disabilities to fight for individual rights and social justice.
Through individual support and collective action, we work together to create a city and world in which seniors and people with disabilities can live well and safely.