Advocacy Agenda Accomplishments
SDA chose three main campaigns to focus on in 2021.
The Free Wifi campaign was launched with videos, a powerful rally at AT&T’s downtown store, #ActionTuesdays in November visiting different AT&T stores, and a petition signed by hundreds of people.
Rental Subsidies: Through organizing, SDA secured an additional $1 million for portable senior & disability rental subsidies, and San Francisco was granted $50 million from the state for Senior Operating Subsidies.
Vaccine Equity: As a result of considerable advocacy from disability groups, the state moved up the eligibility date and improved its plans to offer vaccines for people with disabilities.
New to SDA!
|Regina Lynne, SDA’s new Mutual Aid Organizer, with a focus on East Bay Organizing, pictured here at the home care rally in Oakland, in June.|
|Bisma Farzansyed, SDA’s new Digital Organizer, who launched SDUs on Social Media Advocacy, pictured here at the Free Wifi action in October|
|Yesi Koopman, Housing Organizer with a focus on SRO hotels, with members at an action demanding the elevator be fixed at the Cadillac Hotel (left). After several weeks of being broken, our organizing got it fixed!|
|Also New!||Peer Advocates, including Tagalog speakers and East Bay members Mission Transit Justice Group formed.|
- #ToxicConservatorship Forum & Rally Against Conservatorship, showing how concerns about Britney Spears’ conservatorship apply to thousands of other people
- #CareCantWait rallies for home & community-based services with community partners
- Hybrid Senior & Disability Survival School at Downtown Senior Center in Russian & English Passage of Shared Spaces legislation with disability access protections
- Advocacy for better mental health services in Oakland’s city budget
- Senior & Disability University classes on Social Media Advocacy in SF & East Bay Disability Book Reading with Emily Ladau, author of Demystifying Disability
- Care Rationing Forum to highlight the resurgence of COVID & care rationing in fall 2021 First-ever Wheelchair Repair Clinic
SDA by the numbers
- 288 people signed the Free Wifi petition
- 22 mentions in news articles and radio shows
- 142 SDA members
- 3 new staff
- 83 new members in 2021
- 1209 grocery deliveries this year through the Cross-Bay Mutual Aid Project
To support Senior & Disability Action and build the senior & disability movement:
- Become a monthly sustainer or make a one-time donation at www.sdaction.org Send a check, made out to SDA, to PO Box 423388, San Francisco CA 94142.
- Remember SDA in your will.
Invite your networks on social media to give to SDA
- If you’re over 60 and/or have a disability, become a member and organize with us!